POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Using a couple of proximity patterns : Re: Using a couple of proximity patterns Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using a couple of proximity patterns
From: Edouard
Date: 4 Sep 2009 06:00:01
Message: <web.4aa0e4149d317c83c83e2c410@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I promised to show some results of my experimentation with proximity
> patterns, using my cenotaph building. The attached image shows three
> results, from top to bottom:
>
> - Patina2 macro (Rune Johansen/James Coons; 2003/2004). The pattern gives an
> interesting result for the building but it renders veeeerrrryyy slowly. The
> image took more than three hours to complete.
>
> - df3prox macro (Edouard Poor; 2009). Something rather similar to Patina2.
> Parsing the present df3 file took about half an hour but the render was very
> fast. I believe that I have not yet got the parameters correctly as there
> are still some artifacts showing.
>
> - fastprox3 macro (Sam Benge; 2009). Very fast parsing/rendering. I added
> here an adapted version of the wear pattern provided by Sam in his demo file
> to get a more interesting result. The settings especially of the pigment in
> the pigment_map block seems to be more tricky than with the other patterns.
> I am not really sure why.
>
> What do you think?

"Oh dear, mine looks terrible"

What are the parameters you're using (for the macro and for the textures)? It
might be able to be improved a little.

I am interested in the rendering speed, as I was hoping that, at least, would be
faster than other methods. Can you give some more timings?

Cheers,
Edouard.